Day 9

DJ /rupture from a list/interview in Pitchfork:
A Popular Artist I'd Like to Fall Into Obscurity

There are so many people who are not worthy of their popularity. And, for the most part, I kind of disregard them. And it's weird that the rest of the world doesn't [laughs]. In a sense, I think my broad condemning would be for any of these bands that are doing the "we need the money, let's get together and tour 10 years later" thing. So, a band like My Bloody Valentine. People are so reverential towards them. Or the Pixies. They're both great bands, but at the same time I'm like, "Well, it's strange to see...." A band's import and meaning is constantly being shaped, and it's often totally out of proportion to what their past status was or what their current status would be.... I don't know, it's hard to explain.

I'm not actively wishing for people to fall into obscurity, but I'd rather see more obscure people getting more shine. I'm happy that Bob Dylan, who I'm not a fan of, can do what he does and endlessly entertain himself and stop innovating, like all of these big bands who have been around since the 1970s do. That's fine. They're becoming totally institutional-- they're like a museum at this point. People pay to go see dead artifacts. But what I'm more interested in is, wouldn't it be great if a young regaetta artist from the Reef Foothills can go do a show in New York and San Francisco and Chicago and do this weird little U.S. tour. A minor step out of the obscurity for these other people, I would be more interested in.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment