Day 18

I suppose what I like most about the TV on the Radio album is that it feels like they're saving "big" music from its traditional proponents. That is to say, when I listen to it I think of the Arcade Fire, Coldplay, maybe U2, but always in contrast. Particularly the vocals. The singing on Dear Science ranges all over the place emotionally, but assiduously avoids the completely overwrought, which is basically the one mode in which Win Butler, Chris Martin, and Bono vocalize, even when they whisper.

Beyond that initial impression, what strikes me about the sounds on the record, apart from the sheer range of them, is that nearly every song is beautiful in one way or another, either a trademarked Dave Sitek wail of feedback, or gloopy, shiny synths, or Tunde Adebimpe cooing low, or Kyp Malone gliding over top of everything with his unearthly, feminine falsetto.

One idea I had for comprehending the year in music is a system like The Album My Morning Jacket Should Have Put Out: Microcastle. In that vein these guys are probably filling in for both Wolf Parade and Hot Chip, neither of whom fulfilled my admittedly very high expectations.

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment