The Last 17 Books I've Read

Sometimes I find hard to actually glean any information from the visual clutter of Goodreads, so here's a list: the last 17 books I've read, abridged. If I can muster the fortitude I'll throw in some links, comments and maybe some more attractive formatting, but I'm already feeling a bit lazy from the longer, darker nights.

Personal Days
Park, Ed

Then We Came to the End
Ferris, Joshua

It Still Moves
Petrusich, Amanda

The Somnambulist
Barnes, Jonathan

Consider the Lobster
Wallace, David Foster

Tintin in America
Hergé

All the Sad Young Literary Men
Gessen, Keith

Gilead
Robinson, Marilynne

Vile Bodies
Waugh, Evelyn

Love in the Time of Cholera
Márquez, Gabriel García

Born Standing Up: A Comic's Life
Martin, Steve

Black Postcards: A Musical Romance
Wareham, Dean

Shortcomings
Tomine, Adrian

The Extra Man
Ames, Jonathan

Heavy Weather
Wodehouse, P.G.

The Conscience of a Liberal
Krugman, Paul

Fox Bunny Funny
Hartzell, Andy

Labels: ,

2 Comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, Meg LOVES Gilead. What did you think?!?!?!?

11:44 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

From prior correspondence:

'I hadn't realized until after I started reading it that Barack Obama also (claims that he) thinks very highly of "Gilead." It was a very hard book to read, at least to get adjusted to. As James Wood put it: "The diary form that reports on daily and habitual occurrences tends to be relatively static; it is difficult to whip the donkey of dailiness into big, bucking, dramatic scenes. Those who, like this reader, feel that novels -- especially novels about clergymen -- are best when secular, comic and social, may need a few pages to get over the lack of these elements."

'Also, most of the contemporary relationships don't make sense in context until close to the end of the book. And it still may be too soon for me to enjoy any more conversations between small town folks on esoteric theological points; I might require another decade or two of relatively cosmopolitan life to balance the scales. That said, it is a rather incredible book and probably not one I'll ever forget.'

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment