Contempt

I'm probably on record somewhere, or at least maybe I've mentioned to you in person, that I loathe trailers. They can ruin movies if screened often enough or misrepresent the film they're supposed to promote; it's probably due to the editing most of the time.

Probably no surprise that Godard provides an exception to the rule. This trailer for Contempt, subtitled when it ran at SIFF Cinema recently, is so good it not only made me reconsider seeing the film again so soon (10 months) but also whether the trailer might actually be slightly better than the film, which is basically terrific but also perhaps a bit overrated. [Turn it up loud for the music.] The superimposed words might have actually made it even better than the original, but I'd need a Francophone to figure that one out.

Trailer 1 for Nights and Weekends shares a similar structure, if only superficially. There's no music, but still, I'll take it over in-your-face overkill any day.

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment