Upcoming Events, Jul 2008

June ends with a belated housewarming, the first time more than two people have been in my apartment since... the hot water got fixed back in March. And now I have Victoria's Secret bags for whatever reason I might need them!

Next month Northwest Film Forum starts their Hal Ashby series (The Landlord, Harold and Maude, The Last Detail, Shampoo, with more to come in August) which has either occasioned or been preceded by at least three pieces, in Good Magazine, Moving Image Source, and The Stranger. They'll also be showing My Neighbor Totoro and Profit Motive and the Whispering Wind, which I'm very excited about (profiled in Cinema Scope magazine).

Old movies! I've been lamenting the fact that Seattle offers fewer opportunities to engage with classic Hollywoood, but July presents not only the Seattle Art Museum's screwball comedy series (My Man Godfrey (!), If You Could Only Cook, Talk of the Town) but also Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief and Chaplin's Monsieur Verdoux, all pre-1960 at least. And I've still got to see Wall-E, which I suspect might contend for my favorite film this year based on the limited intelligence I've reconnoitered thus far, along with The Dark Knight, Alexandra (which I skipped at SIFF), and the hopefully hilarious Step Brothers.

Kode 9 plays Chop Suey, much of the Sub Pop roster plays Marymoor park in Redmond, and everyone who's anyone plays Pike Street, for the Capitol Hill Block Party, perhaps the greatest event of the year.

The SIBF is not to be forgotten. And the hapless Indians come to town to face the even more woeful Mariners. I may be the only Seattle resident at all interested in the series at this point, but then I guess can just surreptitiously upgrade to some really good seats.

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment