Work Listening

Caribou: She's the One [Single] x3
Juno Soundtrack
Junior Boys: Body Language Six
Black Mountain: In the Future
Decemberists "The Crane Wife, Pts. 1-3"
Fleet Foxes: Sun Giant EP
Four Tet: Ringer EP
Cut Copy: In Ghost Colours
Mobius Band: City vs. Country EP
2005 Top 12 Tracks
Sally Shapiro: Remix Romance, Vol. 1
Midsummer Meander
Bruno Pronsato: Why Can't We Be Like Us
Vampire Weekend: s/t
These New Puritans: Beat Pyramid
2006 Dance (Lite), Pt. II



After a year off, I'm back listening to music at work, which is definitely a good thing. Listed above is the past week.

The "She's the One" single is tremendous. I hadn't recalled the original in that much detail from back when I was listening to Andorra, but it's both melancholy and fluffy, and in 12/8 time. The Hot Chip remix speeds things up and reconfigures the pulse into straight eighth notes while adding a stutter to liven things up. Kelley Polar's version is possibly insane but unforgettable. The original lyrics are about an unfaithful yet alluring girlfriend; Polar introduces a mythical prom night story in which the lovers are sent to hell, making Dan Snaith's refrain ("Sheeeeeeeee's the one") all the more ironic.

I'm not sure if this is accurate, but listening to Bruno Pronsato seemed to rewire my brain into a sharper state, like some movies and rarely other music have done, as if my perception is somehow heightened. It could have been the caffeine, but I'll be interested to give that album another shot to see if there are similar results.

I was appallingly bored listening my favorites from 2005, though last year's dance mix and the sampling from 2006 sounded much better. I'm hoping to figure out a new one including the above-mentioned Hot Chip track, something from the new Four Tet EP, and Fuck Button's noise-anthem "Bright Tomorrow."

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment