Upcoming Events, May 2008

A ton of good movies coming up next month. Northwest Film Forum has a Belmondo vs. Mastroianni series including 8 1/2, Breathless, La Dolce Vita, and Le Doulos, as well as a John Boorman film starring Marcello Mastroianni called Leo the Last which I hadn't heard of previously. They're also showing Shotgun Stories, which has a terrific trailer, and some George Méliès films.

SIFF Cinema has several titles for United Artists' 90th anniversary, and I'm most excited about the westerns: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and The Magnificent Seven. Then, of course, SIFF the festival starts on May 22, though they're not revealing the schedule for another week and a half. I think I have fourteen tickets or something, from back when I got my membership.

Next week Cut Copy continues the dance-rock-electro explosion started last Sunday by Caribou and Fuck Buttons (both thrilling), and perpetuated by Hot Chip (once was enough) and Simian Mobile Disco (terrific sound and entertaining live PA/synthesizer/sampler set). M83 and Apparat show up Memorial Day weekend. Vetiver, Tokyo Police Club, and Kid Dakota (opening for Cloud Cult) will be less electronically oriented.

I believe Darren Jackson (of Kid Dakota) tops my list of live shows with at least six, maybe more. At least one as a member of Camaro and one as a member of the Olympic Hopefuls, both at the Cave at Carleton, three as Kid Dakota there and one at the Triple Rock (a great record release show) with Low and Fog. My Jim James tally is five, David Bazan's at four, and Junior Boys & The Thermals are holding steady at three.

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment