Ceremony <-> Mahgeetah

Since I listened to My Morning Jacket's show from SXSW (8 new songs) that's kind of all that's been running through my head. Tonight as I was reading The Broom of the System, the staccato guitar trills from "Mahgeetah" were repeating themselves, and I finally made the connection to Galaxie 500's "Ceremony" (originally by New Order). I recall at some point listening to that song and feeling like it was familiar. At the time I'd figured the New Order original must have been what I was remembering, but actually I'd probably just been thinking of My Morning Jacket. There's quite a bit of similarity in the way the songs swell toward their respective climaxes, and the bands both obviously love reverb more than is probably healthy.

And as a segue to what's going on in my apartment, I'll note that I should be getting my stereo receiver tomorrow, so I'll probably start intensively looking at speakers on Craigslist. As it is, I haven't listened to much music in the past week, other than the above-mentioned, so I'm looking forward to getting something set up. Thus far I've gotten a TV (a used 27" model, but once I'm back in the land of employment, it'll probably be time to upgrade), a bed (w/ frame & boxspring), a microwave, a set of dishes, phone/broadband service, and odds and ends. I thought I'd found a couch, end table, and chair today, but they were already sold when I called to inquire.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment