Jim James: The Next Wayne Newton?

So, the other day I decided to look up My Morning Jacket covers for some reason or other, and stumbled upon the full compilation available in the forums of their website.

This occasioned two thoughts. One is that I'm really happy to finally have Jim James singing "Always on My Mind," which was magical when I heard it on his tour with Conor Oberst and M. Ward.

The second is that when he gets tired of touring, James could make an absolute killing in Vegas. How would he not be the greatest lounge singer of all time? His reverberating voice is such that it doesn't even matter if the song he sings is any good, and he obviously has very broad tastes. Were I his manager, he'd close every lounge performance with the Mulholland Drive version of Roy Orbison's "Crying," though maybe it'd be in English. Anyhow, the inflection would be the same, and he'd collapse real dramatically, and the voice would outlast his physical presence. This ought to happen.

Labels:

2 Comment(s):

Blogger Teague said...

"Ought to"? How about "needs to"?

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget "needs to" -- how about "WILL"?!

:)

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment