Upcoming Events, Nov 2007

Not upcoming: Last night when I went to see Gone Baby Gone, the center channel speakers were buzzing. I thought it was going to be annoying, but then I sort of forgot about it over the course of the movie.

November should feature plenty of year-end lists, but Stylus Magazine, which has but one day of publishing left, got started early this week. On the music side of things they published the top reissues of 2007. Today the film section had the Top Films of the Millennium. I blurbed about Cruel Winter Blues. I believe I may have had the most appropriate list featuring, through no special obscurantist effort on my part, exactly zero selections from anyone else's list; appropriate given that Stylus is/was supposed to be about the interests of the individuals writing rather than the supposed broad (sub)cultural value of the object in question.

BAM is throwing some ridiculous kind of party on Saturday night. There are four concurrent programs in four of their movie theaters, DJs, and a lineup of bands including Be Your Own Pet and Heartless Bastards. This, of course, would be after the Grizzly Bear show. It's a lot for one evening, but we've got to use up that extra hour somehow.

Spirit of the Beehive is showing again at MoMA, maybe I'll catch it this time.* They're also co-hosting Best Film Not Playing at a Theater Near You with the Independent Feature Project.

MoMI has Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Meet Me in St. Louis; and Singin' in the Rain. BAM is showing Lulu and Persona. Ohio State will play Michigan, probably at least for the Big Ten title. Anthology is reviving Delmer Daves' original 3:10 to Yuma. I'm also very excited for both Southland Tales and No Country for Old Men.

I'll be visiting Providence, Rhode Island, for a weekend with Max, Summer, Anna & Neal.

And Ohio State will play Michigan.

*Just after initially posting this I found out that Ry Russo-Young's Orphans will be showing at Barbes in Park Slope that night, so Victor Erice's movie gets mown down by the mumblcore monster.

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment