Summer Music Report, Pt. 3

Thursday night I went and saw The Hold Steady. My issues with Craig Finn's voice and the band's sound (slightly bombastic pub rock?) have not dissipated. "Killer Parties" is the one song I wanted to hear and they closed with that, so everything turned out okay. Openers The Big Sleep were the unexpected highlight for me.

Friday night's show at the Mercury Lounge reminded me of why I maybe I ought to get out more often. Small space, enthusiastic crowd and even more enthusiastic band. Plus, Drug Rug was way more fun than I anticipated. When a band with a name like that announces that they're from Cambridge, Mass., before starting their set, I generally prepare for the worst. They played The Band's "Ophelia," and claimed they were ending their set with a Dio cover, though I couldn't confirm the veracity of that statement. I'd be happy to see them play again sometime.

This afternoon Kevin and I attended the second-to-last Pool Party at McCarren Park. The weather was perfect, the lines were either short or quickly-moving, the concessions were good, and both Ted Leo/The Pharmacists and The Thermals ripped through their sets with customary fire and dexterity, including some good covers. There were also some amazing-looking people wandering around. Between sets we stopped to watch a dodgeball game happening in a corner of the empty pool (there was a slip-n'-slide at another corner) because among the twenty-something hipsters was this nine year-old kid who wound up being the last of his team to get out, at which point the crowd lustily booed his assailant and one of his teammates thrust the kid up in the air.

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment