26th Five Films, 2007

+ +
8 Bit (Ramocki) at MoMA. Not stunning as a film, per se, but the content was fascinating. I'd had a general idea about this stuff before, but it was great to see some (tiny) club performances of 8-bit music and the interviews were great, especially the dudes in the Furry costumes. Check the website linked to at right. Also check out Tree Wave, who covered Joy Division's "Disorder" in one of the clips from the film.
+ +

+ + +
Breaking News (To) at BAM. The opening shot, a bit reminiscent of the one from Touch of Evil, is unforgettable. The hostage scenes in the apartment are my favorite, and not dissimilar to early scenes in To's Exiled, which finally gets theatrical release here in New York pretty soon. There was a marching band from BAM practicing Rihanna's "Umbrella" in a parking lot on my way out. Seeing as how I missed the four o'clock screening I was headed to anyway, I wish I'd stuck around, because they sounded terrific.
+ + +

+ + +
Scarlet Street (Lang) at Film Forum. I've now seen three of Fritz Lang's sound films (M and The Big Heat) and they've all been right up my alley, which gets me excited for MoMI's retrospective coming up this October. Edward G. Robinson is expectedly great, and all the supporting actors come through strong in what are mostly pretty unsympathetic parts.
+ + +

+
Side Street (Mann) at Film Forum. Maybe because I was a bit tired after walking a lot and already having seen a couple films, but this didn't seem to stack up to the first part of the double feature. The shot featuring the faces of Farley Granger and a cop in extreme close-up at the beginning was memorable, and I guess there were a few pretty interesting plot twists, but I wasn't jolted like I ought to have been.
+

+ + +
Kissing on the Mouth (Swanberg) at home on DVD. Won't be able to catch this at the IFC so I thought I'd get it from Netflix beforehand. Discovering Ivan Albertson listed in the credits I checked IMDb to see that he was the TV voice in the background for a minute or two about a third of the way through the film, which I only recognized upon a re-viewing/listening. Good thing I checked, as now I won't be totally shocked to see him appearing tomorrow in Hannah Takes the Stairs.
+ + +

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment