Cascadia '07, Pt. 2

Saturday morning I made a somewhat feeble attempt at breakfast, packed up my things (except my Keep It Rural hat, which is hopefully not lost forever) and took the bus down to the Amtrak Station. I attempted to enter Union Station before realizing that King Street Station was actually the site for Amtrak arrivals and departures.

We left and arrived a little late, and my knees were inches from the guy facing me, but the train itself seemed pretty nice. The dining car definitely surpassed what I'd seen on my trip to New England, and I liked the displays on the video monitors showing the route map, nearby stops, and estimated time of arrival. There were also nice views of the sound down past Tacoma, though it was too cloudy over the weekend to see any of the taller mountains nearby. Soundtrack: Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures ("Disorder" blew me away) and Michael Meyer's Immer.

After retrieving my bag I walked the dozen or so blocks to the Northwest Portland Hostel. Upon checking in I received a map of Portland with several points of interest made clear to me. It was disappointing that I didn't really have time to visit them, but I'll just keep it with me for when I return.

I wandered around the block a time or two until Max picked me up for the pre-wedding open house (shower?) in Beaverton, featuring Fat Tire and Mirror Pond. At first Anna and I attempted to steer clear of the crowd (mostly Max's relatives) by waiting in the living room for some of our contemporaries to show up, which they eventually did. I recall eating a number of items from the vegetable tray, a slice of meat or two, and several handfuls of the monogrammed M&M's.

Afterwards we wended our way to a nearby Ruby Tuesday's, where we ate and drank and bestowed humble gifts of our own manufacture upon the congenial and receptive bride- and groom-to-be. As Adam and I discovered while perusing the menu, Ruby Tuesday's really likes meat. There were at least a couple of vegetarian appetizers to be found, though, and I don't believe any of the drinks utilized animal flesh. Adam attempted to photograph someone through or around my rather forbidding tall mug of Black Butte porter (the black is to be emphasized), though I've not yet glimpsed the results. Amazingly, no one jumped into the pond next to the parking lot.

Next morning I breakfasted at the coffeeshop next door to the hostel, which was pretty good, and they get bonus points for playing My Morning Jacket. While there I read a few items in the Bike Issue of the Portland Mercury, including one enlightening article about the history of cycling as a form of transportation in the city.

I had kind of a disastrous time trying to find the Downtown Value Inn, southeast of downtown very near the river. I'd gotten the address mixed up in my mind, and, after exiting the streetcar, wound up walking much farther than I'd anticipated, retracing my route and eventually agreeing with Max that I ought to simply wait at the Waterfront Park for the wedding-bound van to swing by. We made our way through Forest Grove, past North America's only licensed sakery, to Elk Cove Vineyards, where they produce some rather good wine. The wedding took place in what I guess would be the nominal cove, where there was a gazebo and sufficient seating space. After doing our small part in setting up the chairs, those of us who'd ridden out early bided our time until the wedding started.

The strains of the Polyphonic Spree filtered up to the deck outside the banquet room about half an hour before start time. Max said Islands and other bands were included, though the next thing I remember is the Decemberists playing "Sons and Daughters" from The Crane Wife for the processional.* (I'll link to pictures eventually. I didn't really take any as so many other people were doing so.) Afterward Wilco played "I Got You (At the End of the Century)" as the recessional and Viva Voce followed up with the postlude, "Alive with Pleasure." The ceremony itself only lasted 15-20 minutes.

The attire was tasteful and appropriate--wine-colored dresses for the bridesmaids. The gentleman wore "morning dress" including tails for their coats, but no top hats. Summer declared her the train of her dress to be somewhat compromised by walking up and down the stairs to get to the gazebo.

The reception got going pretty quickly thereafter. The food, drink, and toasts were all up to snuff, and after the cake there was dancing and even some karaoke, at Max's request I believe, although thankfully they did not have the song he wanted. I won't embarrass him by listing it here, although he is free to do so himself in the comments if he chooses.

A large number of us reconvened in the basement bar of the Grand Lodge. Summer held out for an admirable length of time, but eventually Max was obliged no either nudge her awake and carry her out the door, I can't recall which. Neal, Taylor, Adam, and I did our best but also retired before closing time, I believe. Marc even showed up, giving himself a bit of time before driving back home. Firefly Kölsch and Hammerhead Ale were involved; I preferred the kölsch .

Shuttled back to the airport, I commenced the wait for my delayed flight. Having neglected to charge my iPod earlier, I listened or watched the two in-flight movies, though I dozed quite a bit through the second.

After waiting quite some time at baggage claim, I caught the shuttle back Bryant Park and a 4 train home to arrive at exactly 1 am.

*The groom replies: "'Sons & Daughters' immediately preceded the processional, which was, instead, an edited version of 'Pitter Patter Goes My Heart' by Broken Social Scene."

1 Comment(s):

Blogger Max Greene said...

A most admirable report, sir.

Perhaps I will have more comments later (though perhaps they will occur on my own blog), but regarding musical issues:

1) "Sons & Daughters" immediately preceded the processional, which was, instead, an edited version of "Pitter Patter Goes My Heart" by Broken Social Scene. "I Love You" by the Pipettes was supposed to be sandwiched between the two, but timing caused it to be abandoned.

2) I was going to sing "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith, which wouldn't have included the unfortunate lyrics (which were featured in my replacement selection):

"Wanna tell you I don't love you / Tell you that we're through"

More to come...

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment