5 Favorite Tracks of 2007

Inspired by this thread on ILX, here you have it:
And the runners-up:
Kode 9 and Shackleton played Dub War at Love on Saturday night. Shackleton's set seemed all right, though I thought he got into a groove toward the end. Kode 9 did a live PA which felt really fresh at the start and then seemed to bog down for much of the rest of it, with too many long breaks between beats filled in by the Spaceape. Far be it from me to disparage the Spaceape's vocals, but this was a club, and Kode 9 just didn't seem to have a coherent set put together. His DJing started out a bit rough, though he really got the crowd moving toward the end.

I'm not sure about the system. There seemed to be a few issues with sound going out from time to time, and there was definitely a rewind* or two, but the music seemed to stop or at least hiccup far too often. The bass was powerful, but not quite clean enough for my taste; ie the room vibrations sometimes seemed as loud as the subwoofers, which isn't really my cup of tea.

*I think this comes from dub/reggae, but basically the DJ picks up the needle and starts the tune over if he deems it worthy. By the end I was craving some seamless 4/4 mixing: techno, disco, whatever.

Labels: ,

1 Comment(s):

Blogger David Day said...

Junior Boys "FM (Marsen Jules Remix)" ??!??!?
*faints*

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment