13th Five Films, 2007

+ + +
Ball of Fire (Howard Hawks) at BAM. I found it odd how much Barbara Stanwyck played to the whole group of scholars rather than to just Gary Cooper. This was sharp and hilarious, but not as bristly as I expected the Hawks/Wilder collaboration to be.
+ + +

+
Tape (Richard Linklater) at home on DVD. I generally couldn't stop thinking how much Robert Sean Leonard looks like Jim Carrey, but when I did I noticed that this didn't feel like a Richard Linklater script. I didn't really care that much for School of Rock, written by Mike White and directed by Linklater, although I did really like Bad News Bears, which I'm guessing owes a lot to Billy Bob Thornton and the group's ability to riff on the original from the seventies. I love all Linklater's scripts, though I still need to see The Newton Boys.
+

+
Croupier (Mike Hodges) at home on DVD. This solidified my Clive Owen fandom and was also really enjoyable, but didn't feel substantial somehow. I wonder how I'll feel upon repeat viewings.
+

+ + +
Gosford Park (Robert Altman) at MoMA. This is great every time I see it. On the big screen I noticed that pretty early on, Ryan Philippe's character leans over and reveals "Property of Fox Studios" on the waist of his pants, even before anyone suggests that he seems to be a queer sort for a valet.
+ + +

+ +/+ + +
Election/Triad Election (Johnnie To) at Film Forum. I was reminded of how briskly Hong Kong crime films move, something I've noticed with Infernal Affairs and As Tears Go By. Neither of these really stole my heart, but I did like the ending of the first, as Simon Yam's ascendant Triad leader ruthlessly solidifies his position, echoed to hilarious effect in the second film. Triad Election was certainly the more beautiful of the two, particularly the scenes on Jimmy's property in China.
+ +/+ + +

Labels: ,

1 Comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know from Googling myself that Gosford Park has an actor named Brian Rumsey in it. I believe my role is "beater". I have not seen the movie.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment