Potpourri

Yes, it's time for another all-encompassing potpourri post.

I got started playing this mini-golf game after watching some other people and have just scored my first 18, so I guess I'll probably never play it again, which is too bad since it was fairly diverting.

Taste of Chinatown on Saturday was glorious with ideal weather and a lot of good food for either one or two dollars a portion. I think I had Peking duck wrapped in a soft roll, spare ribs, sweet & sour tofu, pork dumplings, a shrimp/chive dumpling, numerous tiny pastries, and an iced plum tea; there was likely another item as well. It would have been fine sitting at a table, but eating while wandering through the crowds and watching one of the shopowners shoot off confetti and streamers was idyllic.

I've been reading some books on the computer from Project Gutenberg, the first of which was Dracula. It seemed cool at first and then I got bogged down toward the end (Ch. 22, specifically) so I just checked the summary to see how things turned out. I'm well into Something Fresh, which is my third Blandings Castle novel by P.G. Wodehouse. The writing style seems to differ quite a bit from Pigs Have Wings or Service with a Smile, probably because it was written forty years earlier, though it's still obviously no one other than Wodehouse. I recall being a bit frustrated at how formulaic the Jeeves stories seemed when I read a collection several years ago, but now I find that quality both hilarious and reassuring. I am also "leafing" through The Book of Good Manners, pub. 1922, which is alternately fascinating and hilarious.

Apparently I am no longer capable of even procuring tickets to a show, much less actually going. LCD Soundsystem is, of course, sold out for both New York dates. Panda Bear even sold out two months in advance, but luckily there's now a Monday show as well, so I got a ticket for that. You'll note that I've included John Tejada's live PA Saturday night at Lunalounge in Williamsburg in the sidebar, so maybe I'll go to that.

I've been listening to a lot of new recorded music, though, since I'm downloading better than ever with the new hard drive and our super-fast cable internet. Here's a list of things I've been listening to for anywhere from one day to a couple months (links coming later):

Labels:

1 Comment(s):

Blogger David Day said...

Bebel Gilberto "Bring Back the Love (Prins Thomas Miks)"!?!!?!?!?!?!
*faints*

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment