Seventh Five Movies, 2007

+ + +
Borat (Larry Charles) in Connecticut on DVD. I don't know how it took me so long to see this but of course it was great.
+ + +

+ +
The Thin Man (W.S. Van Dyke) at home on DVD. This was really enjoyable, though I wish even more screen time had been devoted to William Powell and Myrna Loy, as a lot of the other roles were much less memorable. The library has quite a few of these, so I'll hopefully make it through the series eventually.
+ +

+ + +
Raise the Red Lantern (Zhang Yimou) at Film Forum. A lot of similarities thematically and visually to Curse of the Golden Flower, though much less colorful.
+ + +

+
California Suite (Herbert Ross) at home on DVD. I'm not entirely sure why I picked this up, but it was fun. I always like Alan Alda and Michael Caine (Film Forum is showing a couple of his spy films from the 60's as a double feature this spring), but I thought the Bill Cosby/Richard Pryor bits were not nearly as good as they could have been; too fierce, maybe.
+

+ + +
Crimes and Misdemeanors (Woody Allen) at home on DVD. I'll make a point of seeing this in the theater when I can. The movie looked very good, but it's not the best transfer in the world, so I'd like to see it shown properly. I found a couple of scenes to be strikingly similar to Match Point, particularly that in which the guilty man is visited by an apparition at night in his kitchen.
+ + +

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment