Eighth Five Movies, 2007

+ +
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (John Ford) at home on DVD. This won an Oscar in 1950 for color cinematography, and it's easy to see why. This is probably my favorite of the John Wayne performances I've seen, maybe due in part to the moustache.
+ +

+ +
I Vitelloni (Federico Fellini) at home on DVD. At first I got depressed by the seeming worthlessness of the group of young men, but somehow got wrapped up in Fellini's vision over the course of the movie. Feels like it could be a favorite after a few more viewings.
+ +

+ +
Adam's Apples (Anders Thomas Jensen) at Clearview Chelsea. I recalled Jensen's name from David Bordwell's roundup of recent Danish movies. Apparently he writes a lot of screenplays for other directors as well, including Susanne Bier's After the Wedding, which opens next Friday. Quirky and darkly humorous, though the fascination with God and mortality as well as the ecclesiastical setting remind me a bit of Bergman's Winter Light. Much more violent, but in a Shaun of the Dead fashion.
+ +

Ice Station Zebra (John Sturges) at home on DVD. Patrick McGoohan was something of a bright spot, but this was much less weirdly bizarre than I'd hoped. And it's 150 minutes long.

+
The Public Enemy (William Wellman) at home on DVD. I thought this seemed slightly better than Scarface, but much of the supporting acting was rather poor. I discovered the James Cagney/Malcolm McDowell connection with A Clockwork Orange, as they look strikingly similar and both play merrily violent young men.
+

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment