Upcoming Events, Mar 2007

Well, we have a few left in February as well.
  • Missed Damnation last night as I was exhausted after being at work for 23.5 hours Thursday & Friday. I'll have to catch it on DVD and see it along with Werckmeister Harmonies next time they're playing at a festival or something.
  • I'll be seeing The Astronaut Farmer tomorrow for a review. Somehow I'd forgotten about AMC's $6 before noon deal, but it's effective in Manhattan as well as Seattle, so I'll make sure to take advantage of it.
  • The IFC Center is putting on a miniature retrospective of Korean director Bong Joon-ho February 26 & 27. I'll see Barking Dogs Never Bite and Memories of Murder, which I think are his first two features. I'm skipping The Host since that will be more widely released later in March.
  • MoMA is hosting an Abbas Kiarostami retrospective in March, starting with an appearance by the director at The Taste of Cherry on Thursday, one of two of his films I've seen. I'll try to catch as much as I can, depending on my schedule, probably including at least The Wind Will Carry Us, Ten, and Close-Up.
  • Film Forum is showing Zhang Yimou's Raise the Red Lantern during the first half of March.
  • I can't imagine I'll have too many opportunities to see Out 1, but I'm not sure I feel like paying $20 and spending all weekend in the theater March 3 & 4
  • Not sure how I feel about Rossellini yet, but I like Ingrid Bergman and love George Sanders, so I'll be seeing Voyage in Italy at MoMA on March 9
  • I'd like to see Tian Zhuangzhuang's The Blue Kite and Springtime in a Small Town at the Walter Reade Theater. I think China/Taiwan/Hong Kong is probably my second biggest area of foreign interest, with Korea in the lead, and France a less exotic but pretty obvious third.
  • Booka Shade will be at Studio B on Thursday, March 15. I would love to hear a set of mostly their stuff, but expect a more wide-ranging seleciton.
  • The Museum of the Moving Image has a "Fashion in Film" exhibition in March, and will be the silent Howard Hawks film Fig Leaves along with Bunuel's Diary of a Chambermaid on March 18.
  • Fujiya & Miyagi play the Mercury Lounge that evening.
  • Ellen Allien will be at Studio B on March 24.
  • Cavs@Knicks, March 28?
  • Ugetsu is playing at the IFC Center on March 30. I recall this as one of my favorite films of all time, but haven't seen it for four years, and expect some sort of reappraisal this time around.
Of course, I'm not sure about income for March, depending on work, so maybe I will stick more to free stuff (movies at MoMI and AMMI) or perhaps I will earn a lot and feel inclined to hear more live music like Diplo, The Pipettes, Do Make Say Think, Bloc Party, Antony & The Johnsons, etc. I will certainly not be attending the LCD Soundsystem shows at the end of the month since those are sold out. There's another scheduled for mid-May at Studio B, though.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment