Third Five Movies, 2007

+ +
Old Joy (Kelly Reichhardt) at Film Forum. I thought the first act or so felt obligatory, but the scenes in the woods, particularly at the hot springs, were enthralling.
+ +

+
The Situation (Philip Haas) for a Stylus review (up soon) at the Angelika Film Center. It started about fifteen minutes late while we were treated an extra few rounds of the particularly bland musical selections being marketed to us.
+

+ + +
Mister Roberts (John Ford, Joshua Logan) at home on DVD. With a cast like this (Henry Fonda, Jack Lemmon, William Powell, James Cagney) it would be really tough to go wrong. It's a surprisingly lighthearted Technicolor comedy about male comradery that just happens to involve the Navy and John Ford.
+ + +

+ + +
My Darling Clementine (John Ford) at home on DVD. Perhaps my favorite of the handful of the not-many westerns I've seen. The third Henry Fonda film I've seen this year, and my appreciation grows each time. I didn't understand his style in The Lady Eve, but he seems to be kind of like Jimmy Stewart in that he's an oddly reserved choice for a leading man, but so darn likable that the audience and supporting cast supply him with the determination needed to accomplish his narrative task, where the typical leading man would have enough ego/willpower to do so on his own.
+ + +

+ + +
Colossal Youth (Pedro Costa) at the Walter Reade Theater as part of the Film Comment Selects series; "Solemn, entrancing, and ultimately undeniable." I, like many others, found this film a challenge to sit through, but then sometimes important moments in life can be much the same. Even a few hours later, I can feel the image and the atmosphere (of poor Cape Verdean immigrants in Portugal) growing like a seed in my mind. See this blog post on boredom in art/filmmaking.
+ + +

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment