Second Five Movies, 2007

+ + +
Children of Men (Alfonso CuarĂ³n) for a Saturday matinee at Cobble Hill Cinema. In addition to the literally stunning camerawork, I enjoyed the story, setting, etc. and Clive Owen as always
+ + +

+
Shock Corridor (Samuel Fuller) at home on DVD
+

+ +
Groundhog Day (Harold Ramis) on Groundhog Day at the Two Boots Pioneer in the East Village with a terrifically enthusiastic crowd. This is one of those movies that I was glad to cross my list of things I haven't seen, but also loved every minute
+ +

+ + +
Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone) at MoMA. My favorite movie of the year so far. It's astonishing just how long Sergio Leone spends introducing the characters, particularly the ones that get killed off instantaneously. I'm really glad I saw this in a good theater (it's in extreme widescreen full of unbelievably tight close-ups) and really feel the need to see The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly in such a setting.
+ + +

+
The Third Man (Carol Reed) at home on DVD. I'd been going to watch Inside Man, but it was in fullscreen, so I went to this, and lo and behold was as bored as the first time I'd seen it. The characters aren't funny or interesting enough, and I really do not care one bit about Harry Lime despite the entire first hour the other characters spend discussing him
+

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment