October Listening

1. James Murphy DFA Radio Mix 2

After letting this sit on my hard drive forever I finally gave it a listen last Saturday as I packed up my stuff to move out of the MVS house. It's more or less what you might expect from Murphy, a lot of dance/disco stuff spiked with some tastelefully tasteless rock/metal. See also his recent "Random Rules" interview with The A.V. Club.

2. Trentemøller "Miss You"

I haven't spent much time with the album yet since I've been swimming in good new music lately, but I'd bet it'll be in this list next month. Here's Andy Kellman's post from a couple months back. I really like what he's been doing with his site lately, not least the charmingly simple plain-text interface.

3. Four Tet "Slow Jam" / Kalabrese "Skamel"

I imagine "Slow Jam" as the soundtrack to the end of some male bonding movie after they've gone through the ordeal and are starting the long drive back home as the sun starts to set. You don't expect the same from "Skamel," and it's a little more subtle and complex, but the last 1/3 of the track or so accomplishes much the same thing from a different angle.

4. Mobius Band "The Loving Sounds of Static (Junior Boys Remix)"

I've been slow in getting around to this as well, but it's just like a slightly rejiggered version of a proper Junior Boys song, except maybe Ben Lee's singing (not really). You've got the winding synth lines that seem like they could go on forever, the bouncy, stuttering percussion, the wistful vocals. Magic.

5. Grizzly Bear Yellow House

Sort of like a more pleasant and engaging version of Animal Collective's last record. "Knife" is the closest they come to a pop song in the middle of this experimental/psychedelic folk parade.

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment