Fawlty Towers

I was extremely delighted today to find the complete Fawlty Towers on the shelf at the library. I'm not sure when exactly I first saw most of the episodes, some time in high school on Friday or Saturday nights on IPTV I suppose. While the show itself is still unbelievably funny, insanely manic and intense, what I'm most interested in is recalling what the show meant to me back when I was first watching it, or rather what certain television programs meant to me in those days, particularly on weekends with nothing else to do. It's been rare in the intervening six-eight years that I've relied on something like TV for companionship or needed to for any length of time, but my reacquaintance with the show feels somehow providential or serendipitous what with good friend Charles relocating to the East Coast and housemates moving away and the possibility of living really alone for roughly the first time, at least for a while, which in most ways is an enticing prospect, but will necessitate different strategies for living than I've been used to.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment