Electronic-Music Epiphany

See Dave Segal's post at Line Out.

I've been thinking about this off and on for the past twenty hours or so, and I think I sorted out a rough chronology on my walk home from work, though the earliest parts may be a little incomplete. I'm sure I heard stuff on commercials and whatnot, but given the music I read about and listened to on the radio (I've probably watched less than 10% as much MTV as the average member of my generation or "cultural cohort" as they say) I don't think I actively listened to anything electronic until around my eighteenth birthday.
  • Nintendo, etc.
  • The modem sound
  • The Dr. Who theme
  • Ben Folds' Fear of Pop*
  • Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral, esp. "A Warm Place"
  • Radiohead Kid A
  • Brian Eno Another Green World, esp. "Big Ships"
  • Belle & Sebastian "Electronic Renaissance"
  • Moby's journal
  • Fischerspooner "Emerge"
  • Mark Richardson's "Resonant Frequency" columns at Pitchfork
  • Keith Fullerton Whitman Playthroughs
  • Postal Service Give Up
  • Last Night a DJ Saved My Life by Bill Brewster and Frank Broughton (book)
  • Aphex Twin Selected Ambient Works
  • Plastikman Artifakts [bc]
  • New Order "Blue Monday"
  • LCD Soundsystem
  • Kompakt Total 6
  • Dave Segal
  • Philip Sherburne
* Not necessarily good, but still relevant

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment