August Tracks

I'm thinking about putting together a new mix, possibly consisting of some of these things and possibly based around whatever I might put together for our party coming up this Saturday.

1. Junior Boys So This Is Goodbye

I get the same sense listening to this that I get when listening to Marquee Moon: this would be the perfect soundtrack for time spent reminiscing on a solitary space voyage away from Earth for someone with conflicted feelings about humanity and little chance of returning to figure things out anyway.

2. My Morning Jacket "Where to Begin"

I'm not sure this is really a great song, but I'm not entirely sure that I care. It's My Morning Jacket working in a non-Z style (from the Elizabethtown soundtrack) with the reverb turned all the way up. I feel it would be churlish to ask for more.

3. Animal Collective Sung Tongs & Feels

Not sure if it has to do with the weather, my feelings about life or logistics regarding the next few months or what, but this is really working for me right now.

4. DJ Khaled "Holla at Me"

Based on Bambaataa's "Perfect Beat," I don't really know how this could have failed. I personally most prefer the thick, rich sound of Paul Wall and Rick Ross, though the actual rapping abilities of the latter may be questionable, but Pitbull and Lil Wayne certainly have their charms. For some reason, I am constantly unable to remember Fat Joe's verse.

5. Susanna and the Magical Orchestra "Love Will Tear Us Apart Again"

I don't think I had any idea what the lyrics were to the verses in this song until I heard Susanna sing it. What strikes me is that despite a gentleness not to be found in the original (though not inappropriate either), or perhaps because of it, this recording just wears on the listener emotionally. I don't notice anything for the first four minutes, the track just seems to be sliding by gracefully, and then nearing the end I realize that I'm practically distraught--in the best of ways, of course.

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment