Cozzalio on Cassavetes

I am so far yet to fall under the spell of John Cassavetes. After reading Jonathan Lethem's essay in Granta (later reprinted in the Criterion box), he seemed particularly essential, but I haven't truly enjoyed anything of his. I wouldn't say I necessarily take satisfaction from the following assessment, since if I were only looking to justify my existing prejudices filmgoing would be a very narrow and unpleasant experience, but it's always nice to read someone more experienced who can clarify an inkling.

From a lengthy post of reader submitted questions at Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule:
I have to confess a lot of impatience and/or intolerance with the “methodology” of Cassavetes who, as a director, seems cripplingly overindulgent of his actors and far too reliant on his confidence that truth will somehow emerge from the confluence of the rambling improvisational style he presides over on the set and the Moviola he operates in the editing room. Don’t get me wrong—Cassavetes on his worst day (Husbands) is no Henry Jaglom. I like a lot of Shadows and parts of A Woman Under the Influence just fine. But every time I see a Cassavetes movie I come away convinced that there’s not nearly as much going on there as he, his cast, and his admirers seem to think there is.

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment