Odds & Ends

As High School Girls seems to be more or less a catch-all for cultural commentary, perhaps it's time this space started to include more about things that actually happen rather than things I consume. Like the immigration protest I witnessed on Monday. It was fairly overwhelming to see Fourth Avenue thronged with the sort of people one assumes generally tend not to speak up or make much of themselves in public, considering their status as "untouchable" bottom-rung laborers to whom we tacitly grant quasi-citizenship as long as they work for nothing and don't make a fuss. Even though displays of the stars and stripes generally leave me cold, it was interesting to see them being waved by someone other than the usual suspects; that is, the flag as symbol of the land of opportunity rather than a symbol of the land of inherited freedoms and liberties to be protected and guarded violently against all foreigners.

Other than that we went to Vashon Island as a house a couple weeks ago. Sarah threw a log in the water. There are pictures of that as well as Safeco Field, and a couple other things at Flickr. I think I've watched a lot of movies, even since the film roundup below, and those are in the sidebar. My review of L'enfant will be up at Professor Yeti on Tuesday. I don't think I did anything else interesting.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment