Notes

Not my usual source of MP3s and mixes, but Kottke linked to this Diplo Vs Shadow set of Josh Davis beats and originals mashed up and overlaid with everything else under the sun by master disc jockey Wesley Pentz.

Yesterday I calculated the average of the performers listed in Rolling Stone's "Top 10 Grossing Concert Tours of 2005" to be 53. The average ticket price was near $100. While it's true that expensive tours are more likely to be on this list since it's based on gross and not number of tickets sold, this is still a sad indicator of what our pop music culture values. A quote from a piece on the little known band D-Generation that Simon Reynolds reposted on his blog:
D-Generation, says [group member] Biddell, are dismayed by the way "young people are content to embrace a rock canon handed down to them, and seem unable to embrace the present, let alone posit a future."
I finished those mixes, removing Depeche Mode from the latter and switching around the two Four Tet productions in the former. The latter is the more enjoyable to actually listen to, since it's more about being a mix and less about remembering a year. I'll post MP3s when I get the chance.

Also, I was just thinking last week about how New York Noise is probably one of the best things I've ever bought. Then Pitchfork tells me that the second volume is coming out tomorrow, so I'll probably start spending some of that Christmas funding I've earmarked for CDs on that and probably DJ Koze's Kozi Comes Around, if I can find it.

Oh, and apparently yesterday was the one year anniversary of this particular blog, so hey.

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment