Saturday MP3 #10

Two re-blogged songs today. In the next few weeks there should be two year-end mixes: one of tracks from albums I own and one of uncollected tracks and singles, all from 2005.

First is "Fugg That" by Five Deez. Scissor Kick, while not the most frequently updated blog, is one of my favorites; almost every MP3 they post does something for me.
"Fugg That" is the perfect example of smart, courageous hip-hop production, moving perilously close to genre overkill yet stopping just short of the excess to qualify it as near-genius. I know I may be a little over the top, but it's just not that often that a track recalls vintage IDM and drum n' bass AND a dirty south/crunk cadence all in a single track. Somewhere out there I'm sure Cee-Lo is ready to channel Sun Ra, but until that happens you can't get more intergalactically funky than the new record from Five Deez. The mothership has revisited...
Then there's Tiefschwarz's "Warning Siren (ft. Matty Safer)" from Lemon Red. I'm a big fan of their monthly mix series (though I won't be hearing the December installment by Catchdubs until I find a better connection than Caffe Vita's) in addition to the MP3s. The Tiefschwarz track struck me first as terrific dance-punk but it's more like straight dance music with vocals on top in the yelping style that's been in vogue since "House of Jealous Lovers."

Five Deez "Fugg That"

Tiefschwarz "Warning Siren (ft. Matty Safer)"

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment