Jazz?

Last night Charles was telling me, as he sometimes does, that I should like jazz. I have nothing to say one way or the other, right now, other than that I have not really started to like jazz much yet.

Here is my (mostly unheard) pre-2000 jazz collection at the moment:
  • Albert Ayler Spiritual Unity
  • Bill Evans Trio Sunday at the Village Vanguard
  • Charles Mingus Mingus Ah Um
  • Dave Brubeck Quartet Jazz Goes to College
  • Dizzy Gillespie At Newport
  • Herbie Hancock Takin' Off
  • Herbie Hancock Headhunters
  • John Coltrane A Love Supreme
  • Miles Davis Kind of Blue
  • Miles Davis Sketches of Spain
  • Miles Davis Bitches Brew
  • Ornette Coleman The Shape of Jazz to Come
  • Stan Getz/João Gilberto Getz/Gilberto
  • Thelonius Monk Brilliant Corners
---

PY: Ross McElwee/Sherman's March

Labels: ,

2 Comment(s):

Blogger Max Greene said...

If I were you and I wanted to like some jazz, I'd be inclined get some more Monk (perhaps Straight, No Chaser) and Coltrane (Giant Steps?). Then I'd think of adding some Charlie Parker, and, if you like piano, Art Tatum. Or if you want the kinda weird stuff Cecil Taylor, though I'd imagine Jack has played some of that for you at some point. Or you could write Theo an email and see what he recommends...in the meantime maybe I'll try to put some things on a cd to send along with the ones I already owe you.

Personally I've been wanting to sample jazz singers who haven't been dead for many a year in search of someone with a kind of deep, husky alto, so I can imagine I'm at an old time club in Harlem. Ah well.

P.S. If the Wrens come to Seattle, you should see them. The show was $5/person here, but I think it was somewhat subsidized by Brown...

3:44 PM  
Blogger Charles Petersen said...

Funny, once I tried convincing you that jazz was good, I started hearing all the parts of it that I don't like. For example, saxophones.

The one thing you don't have any of is Duke Ellington. I think you might like one of the cds I have.

If you go to the Wrens, I'm not coming.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment