Sunday MP3

Not at the library today, so I probably won't be posting an MP3. Tomorrow, maybe backdated. Right now I'm listening to Iron & Wine and Calexico doing their thing on KEXP from a performance at the Triple Door. I'll be at the Moore Theatre at 8 o'clock doing the same thing in person.

Also, I didn't realize it, but Tony Scott and Ridley Scott (both film directors) are brothers.

Two movie-related conversations from last night: One, who would you choose to star as the lead couple in a screwball comedy if you were to shoot one today? The second was about why I liked Philip Seymour Hoffman, after I mentioned that I'd see Capote regardless of the quality of the film because I like Hoffman so much. I thought back through the films I'd seen him in, but couldn't pin it on anything in particular. Today I realized it was his role as Lester Bangs in Almost Famous, a film I didn't like all that much, but apparently the Bangs character was good.

Apparently I've seen thirteen films starring Hoffman, although I only remember him in twelve of them. (I only vaguely recall Twister.) I'd guess this would put him pretty high on a list of actors by number of films I've seen them in, although as I see more older films, dead actors are probably moving up the list pretty quickly. They are ranked below by greatness of the film, not specific roles.
  1. The Big Lebowski
  2. Hard Eight
  3. State and Main
  4. Magnolia
  5. The Talented Mr. Ripley
  6. Boogie Nights
  7. Happiness
  8. Love Liza
  9. Empire Falls
  10. Owning Mahowny
  11. Punch-Drunk Love
  12. Almost Famous
  13. Twister

Labels: , ,

3 Comment(s):

Blogger Charles Petersen said...

Whoa, he played Lester Bangs? I had no idea. That is pretty damn amazing.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Max Greene said...

Summer and I were just talking about Philip Seymour Hoffman the other night, a conversation which began on the premise that my friend Timmy has the same hair as the great PSH. In the spirit of your post, Summer has seen ten of PSH's films and I only six, among them the quaint, charming (read: annoying) Patch Adams, in which his character is particularly grating, as I recall.

I am happy to see you place The Big Lebowski at the top of the list of PSH movies.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Max Greene said...

P.S. Sometimes he looks a little like you:

PSH

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment