Saturday MP3 #4

Next week, if I remember: something from The Clientele's Suburban Light.

I think I'm probably just now enjoying Animal Collective as much as I might be expected to. It's shocking how versatile Sung Tongs is: I listened to the first half on the dark, rainy busride home yesterday, and then all of it today as I walked around Capitol Hill (Volunteer Park [Observation Tower and Conservatory] and the overlook at the northwest edge of the Arboretum) and it was perfect both places.

The new album, at least what I can tell from "Grass," is a lot more like what I heard in concert last spring. Huge, pounding drums take the place of the acoustic guitar strumming as the base sound Animal Collective is working around. The guitars here, much more in the background, are of the ringing, post-punk, electric variety, and I think there's a short sample of a jet taking off. The vocals are typically insane.

Animal Collective "Grass"

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment