Saturday MP3 #2

This is probably my favorite track of the past two months at least. It's one I mentioned in my upcoming Professor Yeti piece, which you're all so excited to read.

When I got the Kompakt compilation a while back, the song I remember hearing about most was Michael Mayer's remix of Baxendale's "I Built This City", but I couldn't quite get into that one. I was disappointed because I'd been fascinated with at least the idea of the Kompakt label for a while, having enjoyed minimal techno in various incarnations and just assumed that microhouse was amazing. Being unfazed the first time through listening to the album, though, didn't shock me because it's rare that I like anything all that much the first time I hear it.

But this song totally owned me. Not so much the beat at the beginning; you get a taste around 1:15 when the main synth line comes in. Then, because it's a well put together song, the synth leaves as the vocal (sample?) comes in. You realize, as good as it's getting, due to both the effects on the voice and the sample, that it's going to get a whole lot better once they're combined. Not that there isn't a lot to love in the meantime, but when it all comes together about 3/4 of the way through, you realize what you've been missing.

Given that Rex the Dog has this thing about pretending that his dog makes the music, or that he's a dog, or something, and refuses to show his face (without sunglasses) in public, or speak on the radio, I'm guessing that it's not him on the vocals, so I worry that I might have a problem disassociating him as an artist from the voice which I like a lot, given that I grew up listening to rock and not techno, but that's neither here nor there.

Rex the Dog "I Look into Mid Air"

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment