More Music Notes

Kranky started podcasting, and on the first one there's this ambient/drone piece that sounds a lot like the beginning of TV on the Radio's "Staring at the Sun". I thought this was maybe just me. Then I read on Pitchfork that Lichens, the band responsible for the Kranky song, is Robert Lowe, who is now a member of TV on the Radio. So maybe I'm not crazy. I'll post the track next week, if I can extract it from the podcast and it doesn't sound too low-quality.

---

Last night, I was at a Mennonite party (hosted by Seattle Mennonite's new associate/youth pastor) in Lake City, with honorary guest Charles, and we were being treated to what seemed like, for the most part, the greatest hits of our Carleton years: older Gorillaz, "Hey Ya", that one Modest Mouse song everybody went nuts over, etc. In general this seemed to be working well, except for those who'd foolishly envisioned a dance party. Then, mostly out of nowhere, on came "Baba O'Riley". I had to stop talking and just stare up at the ceiling and listen, which caused me at the same time to begin analyzing why.

Charles's perhaps offhanded suggestion, that it was just better than everything else, didn't satisfy me. My theory is that at some point in time I must have REALLY loved that song; although I like it now, it's no more necessary to me than most older rock songs. It's not even one of my absolute favorite Who songs, which probably include several moments on Quadrophenia as well as "Won't Get Fooled Again" and some earlier stuff. More importantly, this would have been during high school, perhaps even during the notably memory-rich end of senior year. It wasn't just that I had to mentally excuse myself from the party to listen to the Who, I also had to, subconsciously it seems, surf back through any and all memories that had somehow been associated with good old "Teenage Wasteland". Kind of like when you're trying to load a large file on the computer and you can't even type in a text editor. Except that I'm mostly human.

Maybe this wouldn't have happened without the cider or the Hefe Weizen, and maybe I was just kind of tired. I don't know. It was kind of an enjoyably odd experience, anyway.

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment