The Anticlimax

By now you think I've got these revelations that came to me during and after last Sunday's rock show at the Paramount. You'd be wrong. Mostly it's that Cut Copy managed to directly reference Interpol and, to my mind, Fischerspooner, while sampling Daft Punk's "Around the World" and just seeming wildly LESS interesting than I thought while listening to "Saturdays" over and over again. The Interpol reference, if you were wondering, was that one of their songs seemed to use the last 30 seconds or so of "Stella..." from the first record.

TV on the Radio wasn't great, but they were exciting. Well, "Young Liars" was great, but otherwise not quite. I really like when Tunde sings smoothly, stretching a little bit from time to time. Yes, just like on "Staring at the Sun". It seemed like he was more into some kind of gospel mode with a lot of jumping around and pointing and sort of yelping. They were trying to do SOMETHING, though, which I thought was encapsulated in the fact that one guitarist and one bassist were staring at their amps the entire time, which especially fit when they were making sheets of shoegazer noise. They just seemed to be committed to doing something artistic or real...

Whereas our friends in Franz Ferdinand seemed committed to, oh, playing at the same tempo all night. Except for the last song in the regular set with three guys on the drumset, it was the most vanilla, boring set I could imagine. It was too loud and hard to understand because of the cavernous Paramount. It was like they were up there to fashionably recreate the songs all the kids loved on the radio and the internet rather than communicate any sort of emotion or create a memorable experience.

In other news, I've been listening to internet radio at work. So far I'm liking WFMU a lot, and I've listened to Radio K, KEXP, KRLX and a few variants of Last.FM, specifically the "Similar Artists" streams for Farben and Colleen (not at the same time), which have worked well. If you have suggestions for internet listening, that is, not MP3 downloading, please comment. I know at least some of you do.

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment