All Music All The Time

I was blown away by not one but TWO songs on the way home today, which isn't really that long, which is why I was so happy about it. Maybe tomorrow there'll be Danger Mouse, even newer than DangerDoom, and Saturday we'll have a Black Dice remix.

Professor Yeti review/column for October.

Although I did go to a techno night a while back, last night felt like my real introduction to the electronic scene here in Seattle (which should have been Decibel, if not for an unfortunately scheduled MVS retreat). It was kind of weird at first, as I was waiting for the show to start, because it seemed like everyone knew everyone else. Even Superpitcher, Ada and Metope were just hanging out talking to everybody who was there. I couldn't really handle it, since talking to people I don't know isn't reallly my thing, but later on I chatted with Metope for a little, struggling to hear him. I also met this guy in a Sonic Boom shirt who told me about Decibel, as well as MUTEK, which he has apparently been to. I told him that I was from Iowa and he mentioned that there were a number of people around from Iowa who go to a lot of the electronic shows, and that he would introduce me to them if he saw me around again.

I've heard this friendliness mentioned a number of times as a reason people prefer techno/dance shows to more taciturn indie rock shows. I'm sure the same is true for folk or any other more marginal genre, but all the same it was very encouraging to see everyone not just enjoying themselves, but doing so very much together. Given my strained budget for the rest of the month, who knows whether I'll be getting out much more until "America's own Radiohead" comes to town Nov 4. Unless Sarah Moody works her magic to get me/us to the Iron & Wine/Calexico show this weekend. There'll be plenty of time for DJs and synthesizers once bands finish up their fall tours.

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment