Fallout

I read fairly early this week that the president's approval rating hit 36%, equivalent to Nixon's during Watergate, and have to assume that it's sinking rapidly. Many people seem happy about this (though, of course, not to the exclusion of their anger at the relatively poor disaster response) but I can't figure out that it matters much regarding how things are run in this country. We're still a long way away from mid-term elections and I can't see that the administration being by the voters told that they're incompetent is going increase their competency levels. I've been feeling fairly disconnected in general, probably because I don't get out much, but perhaps it's also a sign of either cynicism or apathy. My upcoming change of scene and acquaintances should reveal what's what.

What interested me more than the political wallowing was this piece by architect Alan AtKisson about how to rebuild New Orleans in a sustainable and successful fashion, working from guidelines already established by a local economic development group.

It feels kind of awkward at this point in time starting a volunteer position at a fairly cushy job (I hope!) when there are probably going to loads of opportunities to help out down south in the coming weeks and months. Not that I'm having some kind of crisis, since I feel I'll be doing good work anyway, but that's just a thought that struck me this week.

2 Comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just how cushy is your job? So far, I don't think I've heard many specifics.

I too am at a bit of a loss as to New Orleans. I can't go around saying this to everyone, but sometimes I just think, "Well, that's what you get when you build a city below sea-level." Maybe I just have less patience for the second-guessers about funding the levee, poor evacuation etc. A lot of people were going to die in any case. But then I get a bad feeling and don't know what to think.

I'm still looking forward to your mix cd.

--Charles

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

Let me know when you get to Seattle, I'll have you over for dinner and show you around a bit (if you like). I may even be able to finagle Mariner tickets, if it's worth your time to go. :)

Geoff

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment