Music in the Summertime

Nass El Ghiwane "Fine Ghadi Biya Khouya"
Andre Nickatina/Equipto "Morire da Solo"
Ed Shepp "Partydance"
Fred Phelps "America the Burning"
Mice Parade "Milton Road (My Skull with Flowers Remix)"
Ciara "Oh (Cadence Weapon Smartbomb Remix)"
Anquette "Janet Reno"
The Game ft. 50 Cent "Hate It or Love It"
!!! "Get Up (Nate Dogg Cover)"
Superpitcher "Happiness (M. Mayer Mix)"
LCD Soundsystem "Losing My Edge"
Brian Eno "This"

This is a mixtape I made just because. The first track is one that I got from DJ /Rupture's blog. I guess the group is from Morocco. A lot of times I shy away from exploring types of music that are quite different from what I'm used to for the simple reason that I'm not really able to listen to all the music I already know I ought to be hearing in the first place. I can't remember why I downloaded this particular MP3, but I'm really glad I did.

"Partydance" is like the best, most overblown PSA ever, except it's a full-length song. The best line is where he says not to "smoke some ecstasy or take a reefer pill".

You'll recall the hymn from when I posted about Fred Phelps a couple weeks ago.

I don't think I mentioned here about how after the Bloc Party concert I went to at the beginning of spring term, they (that is, the First Avenue sound guy, not the band) started playing "Hate It or Love It" after the encore, which struck me as odd in that it didn't seem odd. Has it always been appropriate to play mainstream hip hop at indie rock concerts? I'm guessing this is more of a recent trend, but have no way of really finding out.

That !!! remix has been in my head a lot recently, but I can't figure out if that's their doing, or if the original song could've done it on its own. We may never know.

I tried to use Audacity to change the tempo on a few transitions to match the beats, and I basically did, but it probably could have been more skillful. Anyway, other than watching sports and reading Pride and Prejudice, that's what I have done recently.

Labels: ,

4 Comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think you could send me a copy of that? I'm doing a lot of painting, and I could use some good tunes.

Current Address:
1614 Grelle Ave.
Lewiston ID, 83501

--Charles

11:02 AM  
Blogger rollie said...

the !!! song is a cover of the Nate Dogg song. it was originally recorded by them for a record they put out.

btw, this is cadence weapon, thanks for checking my shit out

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the Ed Shepp Radio Experiment, Fridays 6-7 at www.wfmu.org or 91.1 FM if you're in the Jersey City area. Same guy? Judging by the description of party dance, yes.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

Yup, same Ed Shepp. :)

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment