Jesus of Montreal, etc.

This (the movie referenced in the title) was another "crazy man who thinks he's Jesus" movie and I liked it almost as much as I liked The Ruling Class. The music was really dated (80s lite-rock guitars and synth bass), and one of the actresses looked like Molly Ringwald with black hair which suggested The Breakfast Club at times, especially given the rebellious small group dynamic, but it was great. It probably wouldn't be as good if you were not pretty familiar with the details of the Christ story because a lot of the enjoyment comes from recognizing parallels that aren't always completely obvious, but it would probably be good as long as you got the main idea, which is that a group of people putting on a reworked version of the passion play are transformed by the experience, and there are consequences, sometimes humorous and sometimes poignant.

I went through all my extra web pages and made sure they work right and added the relevant images. I need to spell-check all of it and make links between the pages, and maybe I will do all of that by Sunday night. It is a possibility. It is also a possibility that our internet will not work right this weekend. Sometimes it claims that I am connected and then does not load any pages. Who knows?

Also, I decided that just any old list of the bands (and DJs) at Intonation was not enough, so I ranked them, just in case there are multiple stages or something like that. Note, for perspective, that although Diplo is tops on Sunday, he would actually be somewhere around Tortoise if he were on Saturday.

>> Saturday, July 16
The Go! Team
Death From Above 1979
Four Tet
Tortoise
Jean Grae
Magnolia Electric Co.
Will Oldham
Broken Social Scene
A.C. Newman
The M's
Pelican
Head of Femur

>> Sunday, July 17
Diplo
Les Savy Fav
The Decemberists
Dungen (plus DJ set)
Andrew Bird
Thunderbirds Are Now!
El-P
Deerhoof
The Wrens
Out Hud
Xiu Xiu
The Hold Steady

Labels: ,

2 Comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where would you rank Prefuse 73, in light of the recent news that he will be in attendance?

7:07 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

As of today, right now, Prefuse 73 would be in third place on the Saturday list.

I also see that there is an actual schedule, so really the only choice I'm going to have to make, assuming I'm at the festival the whole time, is when to see the DJ sets. I'm thinking I might sneak off in the middle of Broken Social Scene if I get bored, but return before the Go! Team. Probably the same with Deerhoof, though Sunday at 7:30 I'll start at the DJ Stage and go back when I get bored, at the latest in time to hear most of the the Decemberists.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment