Thursday in Minneapolis

For our avant-garde cinema class today we went to the Walker to screen some "structuralist" films. The first was an intercut series of images at various points down a hallway. The second was a film that notified the audience each time a minute had passed, and featured a couple of guys trying to figure out the names of boats from pictures of the boats. The third was a long zoom (maybe half an hour) from a wide shot of a room down to one of the pictures on the wall, with various color filters and a steadily rising drone in the background.

The museum was free, since it was Thursday, so we wandered around for a while, eventually making our way outside to the "Sky Persher" (perhaps not the correct name) which consisted of a tunnel to an underground room with an unglassed viewing window to the sky, from which you could see no edges or buildings or grass or anything other than sky.

We (a small group, not the whole class) visited two record stores. I picked up Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene on used vinyl at Cheapo in Uptown, where they're now using the basement below their enormous first-floor space. We also went to Vital Vinyl, which I liked a lot, probably because it is small and well-kept and full of music made by electronics. Since most of their stock is on vinyl, and most of it open, you can listen to it on their fairly excellent turntables with their fairly excellent headphones, which I think would make me a lot more likely to buy something. I mean, it's not quite the Kompakt Records store, but it's somewhere I was happy to spend time in, which I can't generally say for Cheapo or Electric Fetus.

I also got to thinking about how bad it is that the only way I can listen to music is by turning on my ridiculously loud computer and either sitting uncomfortably at my desk or laying on my bed, which I can only do for so long before it feels like it's time to go to sleep. I don't know exactly how I plan to solve this, but it's something to consider.

Also, Max took care of my radio show so I could finish my statistics report, which I hope to do soon. Either I will be on the air this Sunday or will have two shows in one of the last few weeks of the term.

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment