Endless Music Shopping List

Adam gave me another disc full of music today, so I got excited about that and the concept of new music in general, so I decided to do something about the ridiculous pile of lists I'd been keeping in a text file. The problem was a lot of them overlapped and included stuff I already had and whatnot, and basically it just made me not want to learn about the music on there.

So, I got rid of all the numbers and "the"s at the beginning of the list-items, dumped it all into a database so I could sort it, then deleted all the irrelevant information, which was pretty easy, especially the big sections of Radiohead, or the 10 Junior Boys entries from last year. I was able to downsize it from 1100 items to a little over 300, which was a big difference.

It'd be really nice if I could figure out a way to get rid of all the leading numbers without deleting numbers in either the artist or title of the album. If I could get that worked out, it would be supremely easy for me next year when I go through all the year-end lists and try to find out what music from 2005 I missed.

Labels:

2 Comment(s):

Blogger Max Greene said...

What goodies were on the Adam Carr cd?

12:00 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Post-punk, dance punk, and ambient electronic, mostly, according to my classifications. About half of them had been on the aforementioned endless shopping list.

B12 Electro-Soma
A Certain Ratio Early
Colleen Everyone Alive Wants Answers
Gramme Pre Release EP
Innerzone Orchestra Programmed
Liquid Liquid Liquid Liquid
Lucky Pierre Hypnogogia
Measles Mumps Rubella Fountain of Youth EP
Max Richter Memoryhouse
Susumu Yokota Sakura

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment