Music Backup

I've been thinking recently about some article or report or something I saw that listed the average lifespan of a hard drive as something like 3-6 years. I can't really check the veracity of that claim, but it did get me to thinking that I should probably try to find some way to store most or all of what I have on my media drive.

Buying another hard drive seems stupid, since it wouldn't be very accessible in any situation where I didn't want to actually install the thing into a computer. The thought of burning my thousand (hard drive-only) albums onto CDs and then putting them all in cases on a lot of shelves seems like it would be very satisfying, but also not quite sensible for a multitude of reasons.

As of now I'm thinking that I ought to try to hook up with a DVD burner (perhaps in Iowa City) this summer, or just buy one, and slap my collection onto 10-15 digital versatile discs that I would then stash away somewhere safe. Probably I would make use of a temporary external case for my drive to then hook up to the other computer unless I obtain my own. Hopefully the data could then be copied directly from its current physical location to the new disc in a fairly efficient fashion.

Labels:

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment