KRLX Board of Directors

After roughly nine hours of interviews and deliberation, the KRLX Board of Directors has been decided for next year. The results are at bottom.

There were a lot of good candidates this year, although I'm sure that gets said pretty much every time. You can be glad you missed most of it, probably, unless you're a glutton for punishment, but it was exciting to see who will be in charge of the radio station next year. Also, some of the current board members spent their allotted fifteen minutes detailing their vision(s) for the future, which was both inspiring and comforting; the station is certainly in good hands.

Sitting in a room with the same seventeen other people for nine hours messes you up. I can't tell it's Sunday, I don't have any sense of what time it is, finals are completely absent from my mind. I was kind of surprised there were people at the grocery store when I went, but then I realized that it was only eight o'clock, and not after midnight like when I usually go.

A while after voting was over, and my mind had begun once again to function, I started to realize what a major part of my life the radio station has been. It's funny to think how we try to play down the importance of spending a year or more on the board of the radio station to encourage the applicants who aren't elected, but I have trouble coming up with anything else that has defined my identity more than this. The number of people I know (and their relative importance in my life thus far) solely from being involved with the station is staggering. I'd say in terms of impact on my life to this point, probably the three biggest and most basic choices I've made (though this could be debated) are which high school to attend, which college to attend, and to get involved in radio. I would imagine a large number of Carleton students "know" me primarily from receiving compliance and programming emails.

For some people studying abroad or finding an especially significant significant other or figuring out what they want to major in or which career to pursue is one of those things that changes them. Probably my most effective example about the positive impact radio had on me is the wretched winter term I had sophomore year, dropping a class because I was going to fail, getting my worst GPA ever in the two classes I kept, and just generally not enjoying life outside of class either. With no discernible change other than becoming compliance director, my grades improved by nearly a full point despite an incredibly full schedule and my outlook on life improved drastically.

It tends to annoy me when others claim about their lives that they "wouldn't have it any other way," because maybe other great things would have happened given other circumstances, but I'm excusing myself just this once, because I can't really imagine what else I'd have been doing every first weekend of each term and Thursday night of each weekend, and countless other hours of the day and night.

Apologies to those of you who applied to the board any number of times but lacked the dumb luck to run uncontested for compliance director, but I'm guardedly optimistic that you, too, have something to smile about from your college days.

---

Station Manager: Cameron Nordholm
Engineers: Matt Moltaji (Audio), Henry Gross (IT)
Record Librarians: Katie Zerwas, Nick Ver Steegh, Lizzie May, Hibah Hussain
Compliance: Clinton Peterson
Program Director: Adam Carr
News Director: Morgan Weiland
Producer: Terin Mayer
Music Directors: Dana Reinoos, Sarah Nienaber, Tom Schmidt
Business: Mathias Bell
Promotions: Scott Vignos

Labels: ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment