EmPRINT

I read in the physical newspaper today about an internet news project, called EmPRINT, going on at the University of Missouri. According to them, their product is "a visually rich, comfortable reading experience with no page scrolling and no distracting computer or browser clutter." It requires weekly 5-10 MB downloads so I'll probably wait till I get back to Northfield before I take a look at it.

It sounds interesting to me since I readily agree that the medium of the world wide web encourages browsing much more than it does close reading, and I think that difference negatively affects the way I read the news. I like how you can scan the whole of a real newspaper in a couple minutes if you want, and then decide what you want to focus on, whereas online you only see a few headlines at a time, and may be less likely to scan an article since you'd have to open it in a new browser tab or window. I'm not sure if it will matter that it's the Mizzou paper, which I wouldn't normally look at, but it seems worth a try.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment